This is something that I've always wanted to build and own. Something that if built correctly, should have years and years of enjoyment. Before this my problem was, not how to build a Jockey Box, but how to build a Dream Jockey Box. Something that works, all the time, tossing costs out the window. Now this is more difficult than it seems. Most Jockey Boxes (JB from here on out) are build to sell and not built to use. What does that mean? Simply put, they are price point items. A good example is this one. Which is mostly achieved by cutting corners on the cooling element(s) or the coil length.
So let me explain my thinking when trying to build my Dream Jockey Box:
- Coil Only, the hate for cold plates are well documented. The hate for coils is solely length related.
- So two 120ft stainless coil are needed. Please do NOT use Copper.
- I wanted 2 taps, since more choices are better. (remember you do not need to use both at the same time)
- Solid Metal cooler. Staying away from the toss-a-way red and blue cheapies that don't hold ice more than an afternoon.
- Everything stainless. From the shanks to the couplers to the nuts, no brass (hey... except the taps, which I'm changing soon.)
- Needs to last 10+ years with solid 10 to 12 uses per year over 3 to 4 days at a time.
- No drip collectors since when camping no one cares anyway.
- Make it look freaking awesome if at all possible.