Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Stir Starter

This has been a year of looking at all aspects of my brewing.  I have learned a lot about myself during the process.  With that, my beers are getting better and more balanced.

One goal of mine was to make a stir starter for my yeast.  After looking online at the various homebrew forums I choose to order one from  I heard good things from the online community.  I also have a local homebrewing friend that has one of them.

Personally I really like making my homebrewing gadgets but sodering is not my strong point.  And I opted for the premade plate. 

I got the plate in about 5 days from the time I ordered.  It did ship from Michigan if I remember correctly.  The stir plate was well made and very basic, which is all I need for the task at hand.  After talking with Danny I decided to use the method he uses which is based off of Jamil's.  (Mr Malty)

We used a teaspoon of yeast nutrient. 
1/2 cup of DME (light)
1 pint of water.

I brought the water to a boil and added the DME/Nutrient.  I then put the pot in a ice bath to cool the liquid.  Once cooled I added it to my 2000ml flask with a clean stir bar.  I also added a loose foil top to the flask.

I then turned it on and went to sleep.  The next morning I put the starter in the fridge with a airlock for brewing later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting, Prost!